Wednesday, 5 December 2012

Final Projects


Well here I am again! I've neglected this blog, and regretfully so, but it's time to breathe new life into it as I start a new chapter with Pigs Have Wings. But before I do, and seeing as this was originally a home for my art college projects, I'll just post the last ones I completed before I graduated back in July.

The project 'The Essence of Colour' drove me mad. Absolutely bonkers in fact, because I decided on a colour I don't particularly like; the sickly, girly hues of bubblegum pink. I then discovered that the shade was used to calm violent prisoners in a painted holding cell, earning it the nickname "Drunk Tank Pink". This came as a result of experiments conducted in 1979 by Dr. Alexander G. Schauss, who reported that exposure to the colour he named Baker Miller Pink significantly reduced heart rate. His paper, and subsequent studies which found prolonged exposure actually enraged subjects, informed the idea behind the A1 poster and accompanying A5 booklet required of the brief. 

My original plan was to punch a hole in an actual plaster boarded wall and photograph it with the paint tin in the bottom corner, which would then be the other side of my A5 booklet when unfolded. There was just one problem, finding a decent wall with a cavity behind it with which the owner would not mind me (or, when it actually came to it, a friend with a much bigger fist) vandalising. In the end I decided on having an actual sheet of plaster as my poster, which caused disagreement between the tutors as to whether this veered away too much from the parameters of the brief, rendering it to something more like an art installation. However, I am nothing if not deviant, so I went ahead with it anyway. 





A return to children's books had me crafting 'The Cat Day Manifesto' out of paper, and 'Machine', illustrated with acrylics and pencils. 








No comments:

Post a Comment